11/29/2005

Honey-soy mushrooms

Honey-Soy Mushrooms

1x packet of dried shiitake mushrooms
1x jar of honey
1x pack of tempura batter
sesame oil
peanut or similar oil for shallow-frying
1/4 cup soy sauce
oyster mushroom (not oyster-oyster!) sauce (from Asian supermarket)
sweet chilli sauce
star anise (from Asian supermarkets)
1-2cm cubed fresh ginger, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
sesame seeds
rice to serve

Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes or until soft. Drain, and set aside. Put the rice on to cook. Make up the tempura batter according to the pack directions, except the consistency should be slightly stiffer than normal. Coat the mushrooms (the batter will soak up some of their sog). Heat up oil in a heavy-bottomed pan for shallow frying. Whilst oil is heating, in a small saucepan combine on a very low heat:
-ginger
-garlic
-several star anise
-1/4 cup of soy sauce
-1/4 cup of honey
-several tablespoons each of mushroom sauce, and sweet chilli sauce
-several tablespoons sesame oil
Stir whilst you fry the mushrooms in batches. Keep tasting the sauce - if it is too sweet, add more soy, if it is too salty, add more honey.

When the mushrooms are all fried, turn off the heat on the sauce and the frying pan. Tip out the excess oil from the pan, and put all the mushrooms in there. Coat liberally with the sauce. Add 2-3 tablespoons of sesame seeds. DON'T burn the sesame seeds! They smell foul!

Serve on top of freshly cooked rice.

___________________________________________________________________
Life has been, well, interesting.

I have been promoted, so I'll be here another year. I'm working like mad on the punk shrug so I can wear it on Speech Day. And Blogger keeps logging me out, so I can't update. SP, if you're checking, I have had great fun smelling my soap and petting my yarn! Thanks ever so much!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rain said...

Congrats on the promotion!

Huge thanks for putting my button on your blog.

Hope Blogger starts behaving for you.

9:22 pm  
Blogger Aspiring Crazy Cat Lady said...

Congrats on the promotion! Recognition is lovely :)

The 'shroom recipe sounds great, I may have to try to convince my husband that he really does like mushrooms. :)

8:01 am  
Blogger Heidi said...

mmmm shitake mushroom recipe... I bought about 10# of shitakes a few years ago, and am always looking for new ways to eat them... 10# is a lot of shroomage....
Great Blog...

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Edited in Firefox. Sorry if it looks weird on your browser.