8/28/2006

busy.

I've been a busy little owl. My sweet senior class have their big performance for the examiners coming up, and we've been so busy with that. Knitting wise, I have also finished a modified version of Peonyknit's "Anthropologie inspired" capelet (it's more of a top!) but I haven't photographed it yet, and I've made these cabled footies. They're very pointy, but they're for someone who likes fairies, so I think they're very fairy like.


Yarn: Patons Jet
Pattern: Cabled footies by Leigh Radford
Notes: VERY easy and quick. Jet is not a good sock yarn, though, which is unsurprising as it isn't actually a sock yarn. Very pointy toes. Surprisingly pointy, in fact. I hope the recipient likes them!

We have also had Book Week, which includes the annual staff dress-up day. I went as the Queen of Narnia. There were some awesome costumes this year - even a merman! I made the skirt and the collar. It was all brown and furry and Aslan-y.


Bought two magazines this week - "Simply Knitting" - the July edition (which only just hit the newsstands on Friday) and the Australian "Creative Knitting" (not to be confused with its American counterpart). "Simply Knitting" is a strange beast. It straddles kitsch and interesting uncomfortably, like Cosmopolitan does in the way that it is no longer interesting to twentysomethings, but too old for teens. The thing I like about "Simply Knitting" is that they have a good relationship with Rowan (oh, and can someone talk me out of spending $120 + P&H on a Rowan Membership??) and publish select Rowan patterns. This issue acually has a Rowan pattern that they highlighted in February and I fell in lust with but had no way of getting, Rowan being rarer than good men out here in the boondocks. I plan to make it for summer. Yay summer!

"Creative Knitting" is also a strange beast. They recently got a new editor, who has made some changes for the better - more ARTICLES! YAY! - but they still seem very wobbly about who their target audience is. Their adult patterns this issue were rubbish - allegedly "figure flattering" designs that outside of a studio look like sacking. At least they've stopped with the bikinis. Their article structure is starting to become like Interweave, but their patterns are "You Knit What" for the major part, with the occasional gem (like the crochet plastic bag) - except for their always gorgeous childrens wear. I'm not into small children. Nothing personal. Just not gonna make any kidswear.


And warm fuzzy of the week comes from two places. Firstly my Crochetville SP, who sent me this cute bear:



And in his natural habitat, a.k.a my office wall:



And secondly from S__, who is president of the radio station where I spend Thursday nights. S___ is very funny, very lewd, and wouldn't know sensitivity if it hit him with a stick. He also wants me to run for secretary. I mentioned that I'd knit in committee meetings. He expressed surprise. I was wearing my Tubey (for the first time, because I am still not certain it suits me).

Me: I knitted this!
Him: Did you? It doesn't look like it.

Ah. S__ is now my new favourite person!

7 Comments:

Blogger mf said...

Cool socks and a GERAt custome!

1:20 am  
Blogger Stefaneener said...

The socks ARE nice.
I've only heard good things about the Rowan membership, but it's not for me right now. So you do it and I'll enjoy it by proxy.

2:31 pm  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

You are a beautiful Queen of Narnia!

I like your footies!

The way I deal with the Rowan membership is pretending that I'm spending USD instead of Pounds and then I don't look at the Mastercard bill when it arrives

1:20 pm  
Blogger veritas said...

oh, you are the Prettyest narnian queen ever aurora! i wondered where you had gotten to- you havent been around as much. grouse socks!!

3:46 pm  
Blogger Rain said...

Ooh Evil Queen - you look great.

The footies are very pointy, but highly suitable for the fairy-liking folk.

The crochet bear is fab, Juju must be delighted to have a new friend.

SK, urgh. Don't bother with Knit Today if it somes out in Aus, it's naff like SK. Keep an eye out for Yarn Forward if you can get it. First issue out in the UK in October, I have high hopes of it being good.

10:29 pm  
Blogger Emma said...

Ah, Queen Lucy I presume...?
What a cute bear! And I really like the socks.

5:44 am  
Blogger Batty said...

The socks came out great, and I love the costume!

10:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Edited in Firefox. Sorry if it looks weird on your browser.